Remote and Home Learning at OPJS
Below highlights the arrangements for home learning should one of our year group bubbles need to self-isolate, a local or national lockdown is put in place or teaching arrangements are not viable due to the number of staff self-isolating, unwell or awaiting COVID test results. From these scenarios the time spent at home for your child could be a couple of days, two weeks or perhaps longer. Needless to say let’s hope that this situation doesn’t arise, but it’s best to be prepared!
What does it look like? If a bubble has to close down, we will adopt a fairly similar approach to the one over lockdown. Specifically:
- Daily Zoom session that will be used as a check in, sign post to activities as well as offer feedback and support as required. Additional group/individual Zoom sessions organised by staff as necessary.
- Weekly timetable published on the school website.
- Five days of learning that will include five English lessons, five Maths lessons and five afternoon lessons (Theme or subject based).
- Spelling and daily reading to complement the above provision.
- Use of online applications such as Purplemash, Seesaw, DoodleEnglish, DoodleSpell and Doodlemaths as directed by the classteacher.
- Opportunity for a fortnightly ‘OPJS Bookswap’ to enable children to swap reading and library books.
- Two Zoom assemblies a week with the Headteacher
In terms of a timeframe for home learning to commence should a bubble shut down, we are setting the expectation if a bubble was to close, for example on a Monday, the timetable for the remainder of the week would be circulated in readiness to continue home learning on the Tuesday.
Our current approach relies upon households having access to the internet and computer equipment. If this is an issue for you then please get in touch with Steve in the School Office. Indeed, it is important that we have the most up-to-date information with regards to parents/carers and children being able to access IT so that we can either loan out hardware or provide learning packs if needs be.
Follow the link to take you to the relevant Class Pages: /926/class-pages-and-home-learning
The document below highlights our approach to Remote Education: